I’m back on the Heffy Doodle blog today with this chimply congrats card, featuring the Chimply the Best stamp set and a couple of Heffy dies. My focus today is using die cuts to help create those background scenes, rather than having to completely colour one in.
Chimply Congrats Card Tutorial
Firstly, I started off by stamping out the cheeky monkeys from Chimply the Best in some Lawn Fawn Jellyfish ink onto some blending card stock. I coloured them in with my Copic markers, sticking to E50s for their bellies and faces, and E20s for their bodies. Then, I die cut these with the coordinating dies.
As I pictured a jungle scene for this card, I used the Amazonian Leaves dies to die cut lots of leaves from two separate shades of green card stock. Next, I put these aside ready for card assembly. If you have a few more spare minutes, a little bit of distress ink or oxide in the centre of the die cuts will boost the dimension. I kept it simple for this scene to demonstrate that you don’t always have to go full out for a great card!
For the main part of the sentiment, I die cut the CONGRATS letters from the Stitched Alphabetter dies. I chose a coordinating yellow cardstock to make them stand out from the background.
Now for the fun part – the assembly! I adhered the leaves around the edges of a blue card base, making sure they overlapped to give that jungly feel.
I wanted the cheeky monkeys to be holding or stealing some of the letters, so I adhered them around the letters. I’m posting this so I used liquid glue, but a little bit of foam tape would give lots more dimension!
The final finishing touch was to add a wavy banner sentiment under the die cut letters.
A couple of things you could do to add to the complexity of this card:
- Add some ink to the leaves to give some more definition;
- Alternatively, cut them out from white blending cardstock and colour them in!
- Ink or stencil the background to add some texture.
- Or, alternatively, go all out and colour the whole scene, like one of my previous cards!
Please see below for information on the supplies used in this post. Please note, affiliate links* are used at no cost to you!
- Heffy Doodle Chimply the Best stamps (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Chimply the Best dies (Heffy Doodle)
- Heffy Doodle Alcohol Marker Friendly Cardstock (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Lawn Fawn Jellyfish Ink (Seven Hills Crafts, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Wavy Banner Sentiments dies (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Wavy Banner Sentiments stamps (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Stitched Alphabetter dies (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)