My card today pairs the Flying High and Wavy Banner Sentiments stamp sets with some stencils. I layered them together to create a good backdrop for some focal elements. The end result is a simple but colourful masculine handmade Birthday Card with Stencil Layering!
Birthday Card Stencil Layering Tutorial
Firstly, I started out by stamping out the plane, banner and clouds from the Flying High stamp set onto some alcohol marker blending cardstock in some Memento ink. Next, I stuck to a really simple primary colour palette and coloured the elements in with my Copic markers. Before I die cut the elements, I customised the banner with one of the sentiments from the Wavy Banner Sentiments stamp set.
For a start, the background is really simple to create. I started off by aligning the Scalloped Circle Masquerade Stencil with a card base and inking over with a stencil brush and some Tumbled Glass Distress Ink. This gives a nice light base with which to layer over the Wave to Me stencil using some Broken China Distress Ink. This gives a great subtle effect and adds the notion of movement to the background.
After die cutting the images, I arranged them on the card base, popping up the plane and banner with some foam tape.
Try it out and add some life to your own backgrounds with some stencil layering! I’d love to see the projects you make so be sure to tag me on social media or let me know below what you’ve made!
Thanks for reading, catch you soon!
Please see below for details of the supplies used in making this handmade card (affiliate links* used where possible at no cost to you!).
- Flying High stamp set (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Flying High coordinating dies (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Wave to Me stencil (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Wavy Banner Sentiments stamp set (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Alcohol Marker Friendly Cardstock (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Scalloped Circle Masquerade Stencil (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)