Hello, Heffy Doodlers! It’s been a while since I’ve created a full-panel scene card and the summery weather inspired me to theme it around the ocean life. Combing lots of different sets (Boats and Barns, Lil Lighthouse, You Go Gull, Highland Honeys, Farmyard Fun, Whatcha Saying… and perhaps just a few more!), here’s a colourful birthday card that my uncle will love!
Ocean Life Scene Card Tutorial
As with any good scene card, the first and most important step is the planning part – at least for me, as otherwise I’ll end up with everything squashed into a dark corner! I simply start laying out the elements onto a blank card panel. This also visually helps me mark out the foreground elements (i.e. the lighthouse and seagull), as these are those that I will need to create masks for.
Once the layout is sorted, I then start to stamp out the scene. I love that no-line colouring look with my alcohol markers, so my favourite combo to to use is Lawn Fawn Jellyfish ink on some Heffy Doodle Alcohol Marker Friendly Cardstock. I mixed and matched the sets, drawing around dies with in light pencil and using one of the Lovely Little Border Dies upside down to add some waves to ground the scene. Don’t forget to erase most of your pencil lines else they will get ‘stuck’ under the marker ink and will be very visible under the lighter colours!
And then begins the fun part – the colouring! I always start with the background as this prevents bleeding of the darker foreground colours. A light gradient for the sky, grounded by darker markers of the same family for the waves. I chose some bright reds and oranges for the lighthouse and boat to make them stand out (tip – complementary colours on the colour wheel have a great effect!).
After tidying up the details and boosting the shadows and highlights with my coloured pencils, I finished off the card by adding a sentiment, die cut from the Whatcha Saying set and adhered with a little bit of Glubert.
Boats and scenes like this make a great base in cards for those of us who aren’t immediately drawn towards the pink, sparkly and fluffy!
Please see below for information on the supplies used in this post. Please note, affiliate links* are used at no cost to you!
- Heffy Doodle Alcohol Marker Friendly Cardstock (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Lawn Fawn Jellyfish Ink (Seven Hills Crafts, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Farmyard Fun stamps (Heffy Doodle)
- Heffy Doodle Highland Honeys stamps (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Lil Lighthouse stamps (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Whatcha Saying? stamps (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Whatcha Saying? dies (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle You Go, Gull stamps (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Heffy Doodle Lovely Little Borders Dies (Heffy Doodle)
- Heffy Doodle Boats and Barns dies (Heffy Doodle)
- Heffy Doodle Glubert Adhesive (Heffy Doodle, Simon Says Stamp*)
- Copic Markers
- Coloured Pencils